Complete upgrade of the line from Nice to Plan du Var
The line dating from between 1890 and 1911 was built in metre gauge and runs through five mountain valleys, traversing some 60 viaducts and tunnels along the way. It is one of the most beautiful and impressive railway lines in France. Owing to the poor condition of the line, the operating company, Région Provence – Alpes – Côte d’Azur, placed a contract for the complete renewal of the section from Nice to Plan du Var.
The Sersa Group was awarded the contract on the strength of its extensive experience throughout Europe and proven expertise in metre gauge track systems, as well as the professional expertise the company demonstrated during the "Puy de Dôme" project.
The section to be renewed was divided into three sub-sections, which were closed to traffic during the active project phase.
Services provided by the Sersa Group
- 25 km complete renewal of the metre gauge line including supply of ballast, sleepers, rails and switch points
- Proper disposal of redundant material
- Rail welding
- Track civil engineering work (new construction of platforms, cable installations for signals etc.)
- Level crossings
- Complete renovation of Nice station (beginning of upgrade section)
- Complete renovation of La Vésubie station (end of upgrade section)
Construction site data
|Client||Région Provence – Alpes – Côte d´Azur|
|Contract volume||Complete renewal of the line from Nice to Plan du Var including material logistics and track civil engineering works|
|Contract period||1 April to 15 December 2011|
|Length of section||25 km|
AVW 1, charging trolley, 17 vehicles for old and new ballast, 10 diesel locomotives, B30 tamping machine, adaptor vehicle, SERSTAR mobile rail welding system, GRail1 rail grinding machine, 10 flat wagons
Ing. De Aloe, ESAF
- Enabling the line for passenger and goods traffic
- Suitable for a maximum speed of 100 km/h